Thursday, April 16, 2015

Pat Metheny with Charlie Haden & Billy Higgins Rejoicing ECM/Warner Brothers 1983

Pat Metheny with Charlie Haden & Billy Higgins Rejoicing ECM/Warner Brothers 1983 CAT# ECM 1271

Usually after 3 minutes of hearing Pat Metheny noodle around, I've decided I have something better to do. I literally have a closet full of his albums on the account he's local, but I'm not sure I'll ever get it. I mean, I get that he's great at guitar and all, it's just a lot of guitar masturbation all over the place on these LPs.

Pat Metheny is a Kansas Citian, though. I think it's pretty safe to say, he's Kansas City's most accomplished guitar player. I mean the guy made a kajillion albums like this, he's been giving a ton of Grammy's, and been voted best guitarist by guitar magazines over and over. It's pretty impressive. He was born outside of Kansas City in Lee's Summit, Missouri. By age 15, his jazz guitar styling was catching the eye of teachers. After graduation, he briefly attended a school in Florida, but they apparently realized there wasn't much left to teach him and offered him a job. He would wind up taking a teaching job eventually, at one of the most prestigious music schools in the country, Berklee College of Music in Boston. There he was an assistant teacher with legendary vibraphonist, Gary Burton, leading the way. By the late 70's, he'd perform regular with Burton, from there, the guy just started recording and touring. When you look at his body of work, it looks like it must have been non-stop.

But yeah, I kind of kid on Pat Metheny. It's very good music, just not really my cup of tea. I get why people like it, as stated above, he's extremely talented. The ECM releases are great because the label was so focused on quality, typically pressed on virgin vinyl, well sleeved and tastefully designed. This album features Charlie Hayden from Iowa, but took his first paying gig nearby in Springfield, Missouri. Billy Higgins is amazing drummer who played with just about everybody important in the post-bop era.

The Calling from the album, it's most of side 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment