Sunday, April 17, 2016

Whitten & Tod Self-Titled Sold Sound Inc. Year Unknown

So much going on with hair here.

Nice Canadian tuxedos.
Whitten & Tod Self-Titled Sold Sound Inc. Year Unknown CAT# W&T 701

First time I saw this LP was at the Olathe Savers. Turned it over, saw that it was made in KCMO and was ready to pull the trigger. Then I checked the condition and it was tore up; unplayable. The second time I saw it was across the street at the Olathe Goodwill. Which would indicate to me that the band gigged in and around Olathe or had multiple players from Olathe.

Nevertheless, the band's private label, Solid Sound Inc., indicates the home base is Kansas City, MO. Whitten & Tod have three releases out there. This, a 45 and another LP both from 1975 per Discogs. Appears the 1975 releases are more of a folk-rock affair. This album appears to come out in the late-70's or possibly early-80's and is a clear attempt to get the folks around town dancing.

The LP consists of entirely cover songs. It's not a terrible thing, some of their covers are easy disco and if you heard it played at wedding in Kansas City by Whitten & Todd, you'd be like, "That's a great fucking wedding band." The album becomes awful though when they step off the disco covers...Like dreadfully bad.

And, I say that in the nicest way, the group Whitten & Tod put together is pretty capable. Benny Whitten, the handsome fellow on the back cover with a mustache, arranged and produced the LP and it has a few highlights. The cover of "Bread's "Lost Without Your Love" is disco-fied with a highlight being some psych guitar work thrown in. Kiki Dee Band's "I Got the Music In Me" gets a hard-rock disco groove. And the covers like "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing", "Car Wash", and "Superstrut" are pleasant enough (although, you'd take the originals over Whitten & Tod). At it's best, it's a disco LP, but don't let anybody tell you it's funk, it's way too white for that.

6 comments:

  1. i think this album its great. is it possible to talk with you privatly? do you have an email address?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marco, you can email me at kclawrencevinyl@gmail.com. That said, haven't been active on the blog so my response will likely be slow, but I'll try to be more active. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I am so happy to have found this album. I've been looking for it for a few years. I am the widow of the bass player on the album, Bob Short. My only copy was ruined in a flood four years ago. I'm so happy to have found a copy out there. And yes, the band was out of Kansas City in the late 70's. The Whitten and Todd Show was the house band for the Sheraton Royal in 1977 and 1978. They also played the Country Club Plaza in one of the hottest clubs in town. They had a huge and loyal following. Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mrs Short,
      My name is Chad Way.
      Benny Louis Whitten and
      Kathleen Tod Whitten are my Grandparents. I have more band memorabilia if you're interested.
      Contact me anytime.
      Email: troopa913@gmail.com
      Sincerely
      Chad Way

      Delete
    2. Thank you Chad! Check your email for an email from me. Thank you so much for reaching out! It's been more than 5 years since I wrote on this blog. I am so grateful to you! Bless you! Beverly Short

      Delete
  3. I have a copy of the album. I haven't played it in years. They played at the lounge in the Sheraton Royal Hotel across from the baseball stadium. I must have enjoyed their music since I bought the album.

    ReplyDelete